Friday 12 February 2010

BLOGGING for FUN!

ON BLOGGING

I have been threatening myself with blogging for years now - in fact my original publisher set me up with a blog some five years ago. I evaded it.  I must explain my relationship with my computer: to me it is a beloved enemy, one that I have little control over but one that I have this love/hate relationship with. I use it as a sort of word processing tool with email facility. I love my emails and Google, I am happy to download maps, even though I have a problem reading maps.

My computer is the one I scuttle to every morning with a fervour that could be seen as unhealthy. I like to get my words down and in fact I can hardly write in longhand any more. However, my brain does not absorb computer knowledge, it closes down like an obstinate clam at the sight or sound of computer speak. The simplest instruction is lost on me and I feel my mind going off whistling into the distance like an errant teenager - 'I don't care to hear you!' it whistles. 'This is not for me'  it sings. It puts it hands over its ears and scuttles off.

This week I decided that I must do a sneaky move on my mind, come upon it from a new angle, so I got a very efficient, competent woman in to 'teach' me how to blog. We were startled, my brain and me but some knowledge seeped through. As soon as she left I panicked, went onto overdrive or underdrive  and was sure I could never do this. All the stuff she had told me just flew away and I was back at school in a maths class, baffled with brain in flummox mode and a tantrum building up. Then I would draw cartoons of women, hand them round and disrupt the class. (I got a result too, I was allowed to cut maths and do art instead - a result for the teacher too)

Now I could hardly stage a one woman rebellion, there was nobody about to witness it. I badly wanted to hold my teacher responsible but common sense walked in and prevailed and I got a grip. I telephoned my teacher'and she was  patience incarnate, not engaging in my confusion and with humour and kindness sent me emails that I could refer to. In fact I am quite capable of looking at a piece of paper with quite clear instructions and my panic doesn't allow me to see them. I squeak in terror and have reduced my internet provider to near tears when she tried to explain how to get my router organised. I am sure there is a word for this malaise and I refuse to believe it is STUPID,

I shall continue with this process!!

1 comment:

  1. This is a very thoughtful post. I know there is a lot to take in when setting up a blog for the first time, particularly when you are not confident with using the unfamiliar technology. Practice is the key. Soon you will get the hang of it and then look back and smile.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete